John A. Dean, MD, F.A.C.S.
Dr. Dean is a 1983 graduate of the Texas A&M University College of Medicine. He completed his internship and residency in general surgery at Ochsner Medical Institution in New Orleans, Louisiana. He trained in plastic and reconstructive surgery and hand surgery at Eastern Virginia Graduate School of Medicine, Norfolk, Virginia and was chief resident in 1990.
- Board Certified by the American Board of Surgery, 1990
- Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, 1993
- Current President of the Louisiana Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (F.A.C.S.)
- Member of the Louisiana Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Member of the Southeastern Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons
- Assistant Clinical Professor of Plastic Surgery, Tulane University School of Medicine Instructing Plastic Surgery Residents
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Surgery, LSU Health Sciences Center, Department of Surgery, New Orleans, LA, Instructing Residents and Medical Students
- Volunteer Surgeon with Operation Smile International and Physicians for Peace
- Participated in 14 Overseas Missions as both Plastic Surgeon and Surgical Team Leader
- Lectured in Six Different Continents on a Variety of Plastic Surgery Topics
- Authored Numerous Plastic Surgery Book Chapters and Scientific Article Publications
- Wrote Questions for the Canadian Board of Plastic Surgery Examination
Dr. Dean has brought several plastic surgery innovations to Baton Rouge including:
- The first surgeon to do SGAP free flap breast reconstruction
- One of the first to do Free TRAM breast reconstruction and then later DIEP reconstruction. I continue to offer free flap breast reconstruction in my practice.
- First to bring VAC wound care dressing to Baton Rouge
- The only surgeon to have successfully performed three arm re-plantation procedures.
- First Louisiana plastic surgeon to be trained in Fernandez cleft lip repair technique
- First physician in Louisiana to use Aeroform breast tissue expander, in November 2017